Android Telephony API Issues
Last update: Aug. 2, 2018
Phones with Android 5+ that still do not implement fully API 17 telephony functions
There are phones with Android 5, 6 and even Android 7+, i.e. API 21+, that still do not (fully) implement API17+ telephony functions (they implement API 1 telephony functions!), which limits drastically our app's features for those phones. This has as consequence, for example, not showing any LTE neighbors, and not showing PCI (since no such info is provided). These are manufacturers' issues and not ours.
Android 7 phones, showing erroneously Band 1
There have been recorded from users' feedback Android 7+ phones, e.g. cases of high-end devices, showing erroneously EARFCN = 0 which translates to Band 1. This is Manufacturer firmware issue, not ours. Since EARFCN = 0 (which translates to Band 1) is a valid number, we cannot filter it out. Please report this issue, to the device manufacturer.
Android 7+ phones, showing erroneous Band
There have been recorded from users' feedback Android 7+ phones, e.g. cases of high-end devices, showing non-existing Band for a carrier/operator. This is caused from erroneous EARFCN which translates to erroneous Band. Please check the EARFCN and the Band it gives, e.g. using this tool. This is android/firmware issue. Please report this issue, to the device manufacturer.
Android 7 phones, showing No Band
Officially Android supports band information from Android 7 (N, Nougat). The device however has to implement the API17 telephony functions, and also to fully and correctly implement them, for the app to show the Band. If the device does not implement at all the API17 functions, or if the Android API provides e.g. xARFCN = 2147483647, i.e. meaningless number - out of range, then no Band info is available in the Android API to show. These are device firmware issues. Please report this issue, to the device manufacturer.
Phones not showing any neighbor cells
There are phones not showing any neighbor cells under a certain wireless technology, and there are phones not showing at all signal strength. These are manufacturers' issues and not ours.
LTE+ (4G+) for Android 7+ devices BETA support
Indication of LTE+ (4G+) connection type (not carrier aggregation bands), is currently in BETA development, meaning development is undergoing, and it may not work as expected. In addition, current Android does not fully support LTE+ (and no info on Carrier aggregation bands is given). Devices may be LTE+ ready, but the LTE+ connection maybe currently rare, and if the devices do not indicate that capability to the Android API, we have no data to show anything.
The following issues with older android phones (running Android 4) have been identified through users' feedback (who we thank very much for the debugging information):
Phones not showing any signal strength
From users' feedback, a number of phones (listed below) seem not to reveal the signal strength to the Android Telephony Interface, therefore they show no signal in our app (this is manufacturers' issue):
- BullittGroupLimited B15Q, Hardware: Mt6582, Android: 4.4.2 (API 19)
- Energy Sistem Energy Phone Max, Hardware: Mt6582, Android: 4.4.2 (API 19)
- LG G2 Lite (LGE LG-D295), Hardware: L70pds, Android: 4.4.2 (API 19)
- LG G Flex (LGE LG-LS995), Android: 4.4.2 (API 19), Android image: KOT49I.LS995ZVB
- LG Optimus F3 (LGE LG-P655H), Android: 4.1.2 (API 16), Android image: JZO54K
- LG Optimus L5 E612 (LGE LG-E612f), Android: 4.1.2 (API 16), Android image: JZO54K
- Samsung GT-I9100, Hardware: Smdk4210, Android: 4.1.2 (API 16)
- Samsung GT-I8190, Hardware: Samsunggolden, Android: 4.1.2 (API 16)
- Samsung I9300, Hardware: Qcom, Android: 4.3 (API 18)
- Samsung SCH-R530M, Hardware: Qcom, Android: 4.3 (API 18)
- Samsung SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ, Hardware: Qcom, Android: 4.4.4 (API 19)
- Sharp Aquos Crystal (SHARP 306SH), Android: 4.4.2 (API 19), Android image: KVT49L
- ZTE Rapido (ZTE Z932L), Android: 4.1.2 (API 16), Android image: Z932LV8.0
(!) If your device doesn't show any signal with our app, you may send us the system info (from the app's settings) to check it.